I hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July! And after a little over indulging, it’s time to go looking for a healthier snack alternative.
I love, love, love my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Energy Bites, but when looking to expand a little for an upcoming Health Fair I’m demoing at for work, I wanted to see what else might be out there in the the wide world of bite sized energy morsels. While scrolling through Lindsay’s Healthy Bites recipes at Cotter Crunch, I found her Lemon Pistachio Shortbread Cookie Bites. These were so outside the box from the usual energy bite recipe I see with dates, chia seeds, etc., I just had to try them. After looking at the recipe closer, I knew I’d have to make some modifications for a smaller batch, so I decided to branch out further and incorporate some lavender… because I just love the lavender and lemon combo. And by sticking with almond butter, the other flavors could really shine through.
I bought my culinary lavender from Los Poblanos Farms which is a local business, but their lavender products are featured in posh hotels around the country and you can buy most all of the lavender products online – yep even their culinary lavender, all organic. In addition to their lavender farm, they also have a historic inn and restaurant (all locally sourced or onsite farm raised ingredients) on the property. C and I had our first valentine’s dinner there – I loved the atmosphere, the size and style made me feel like I was in some old Spanish town and definitely not in Albuquerque anymore. Oh, and the food was also fabulous. 🙂
Lemon Lavender Energy Bites
- 1/2 c raw, unsalted, pistachios (meats, shelled)
- 1 tsp grated lemon
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut flour
- 1 T turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c creamy almond butter (do not use peanut butter – it will overpower the other flavors)
- 1 tsp whole culinary lavender (you can add an additional 1/2 tsp based on strength of lavender flavor)
- 1/4 c honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Place nuts and flour in the food processor first. I used a 2 cup food processor or small option if using a larger processor. Pulse until nuts resemble a course meal.
- Add in sugar, salt, lavender, and extracts. Process for another 3-5 second or until well combined.
- Lastly, blend in almond butter and your choice of honey or maple syrup. Pulse until well combined and the mixture holds its shape when pressed together. Add additional syrup 1 T at a time until mixture hold a shape without crumbling.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop mixture and form into round balls.
- Place balls in the freezer to set and hold their shape. After frozen, they can be left to be stored in the freezer or refrigerator.
I think this is my new favorite hiking snack or maybe just for work. 🙂
What are your favorite snack flavor combinations?